Monday, February 16, 2015

Out of Bounds: Freedom of Expression

Blockbusters Come in
Small Packages
An Exhibition in Yonkers is Full of
Energy and Color

I am so honored to be included in a wonderful exhibition now on view at the Blue Door Art Center and Gallery, 13 Riverdale Avenue in Yonkers, New York.

Curated by Shelita Birchett Benash, with help from Arle Sklar Weinstein and Luis Perelman, the show is called: Out of Bounds:Freedom of Expression. The works in the show exude energy, which seems to be transfused from Shelita who has a larger-than-life dose of enthusiasm for art and life.
 Shelita and me in front of my hats.
Shelita discusses the show's concepts with friends.
"The exhibition is an international, all-media exploration of how
deep creativity and fearlessness push artists outside the lines
of traditional methods, applications and ways of seeing."
 I made this hat to wear to the show.
 An undisputed star of Out of Bounds, is the outsider artist,
Sue Kreitzman. Her work is displayed against a splendid red wall
on the stage-like mezzanine of the gallery.
 Sue creates these paintings, assemblages and necklaces
using found-object materials and
lots of fully saturated color.

 I love these giant heart creations.
 Sue divides her time between London
and New York.
 Sue is currently being honored by Selfridges
Department Store in London as one of 14
"Bright Old Things."
Her art installation occupies one window of
Selfridges on Oxford Street.
One of Sue's incredible goddess wonder women.
 An elegant, patchwork corset by Shelita
Birchett Benash.
Shelita's "The Offering III,"
ceramic mixed media salvaged, organic fiber,
metal and wood.
Jeanne Markel admires Anothai
Hansen's "Spirit Girl Big Doll"
Doll by Shula Weinstein
 "Side Show" by Miz Thang
Julia Sisi, "Inner Seas"
Arle Sklar Weinstein, director of the Blue Door Gallery and
artist, chats with Jeanne Markel and Inge Brown.
 Golda Solomon, poet-in-residence,
Blue Door Gallery
Nonnie Balcer looking charming and
lovely as she is decked out for the cold day.
Hand-painted, mixed media dolls
by Noel Donaldson
"I always wanted to be free."
Thornton Dial
 I was so happy to see how Shelita had
displayed my hats as sculpture.
 Vistors were asked to express themselves, so
Inge wrote a note to say that perhaps Mary,
of Downton Abbey, might have worn one
of my hats with her new haircut.
Inge is the founder of the Katonah Gallery,
now the Katonah Museum of Art.
Arle Sklar Weinstein's kimono is on
the back wall.

I hope you all can visit the show.
The catalog is available here.

À Bientôt!





4 comments:

  1. Your hats are fantastic all stacked up like that. And especially the one on your head.
    I thought that first art was familiar and then I had an "ah hah" moment when I read the name Sue Kreitzman. I love all of her work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so exciting to see your work as part this wonderful show. Your hats are gorgeous and especially love the piece that you made to wear for the show. I only wish that I could have been there. Brava!

    ReplyDelete