Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Call Me Crazy...


Color! Saturated, Sassy, Spectacular and Sensual


Meet my niece, Sarah Wedge, my hat model! 


 Sarah Wedge is a talented illustrator and artist. She is a graduate of the Maryland Institute College of Art.  You can see Sarah's work here. Sarah is wearing my Louise Brooks haircut style hat -- "Crazy".


The "Crazy" style is made by piecing felt shapes on a headblock. All the pieces are joined by strips of either felt or velvet.


"Crazy" can't be crazy enough. I love this quote from Morris Lapidus, a neo-baroque-style architect who designed great 1950's buildings, like the Fontainebleau Hotel in Miami.  "MORE IS NEVER ENOUGH!" Here's a little film about Morris.


I  like the contrast between the soft look of the felt and the shiny, luxurious velvet. I use pinking shears to cut some edges for the zig-zag effect.




Louise Brooks was a beautiful actress who starred in films in the 1930's.

Great shape and great color. Thank you Sarah and Louise.

À bientôt!


2 comments:

  1. WOW! Love the post Carol. Your niece is a beauty. She has a dramatic look which compliments the hat! I checked out her web site, and she's a wonderful artist as well. I can see the apple did not fall far from the "family tree"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny.
    If you don't have idea about Christmas gifts, visit my blog.
    Frances www.theafternoontea.it

    ReplyDelete